What is Mesothelioma Cancer ?
Mesothelioma cancer is a type of cancer that is occurs from the tissue that envelops multiple organs in the human body. That tissue is known as Mesothelium and the cancer mainly develops due to prolonged exposure to asbestos. Sometimes the exposure can be 40 to 50 years prior to the diagnosis. Majority of the cases develop Mesothelioma cancer 20 years after asbestos exposure.
This is a deadly and aggressive form of cancer and a cure is not possible in most of the cases. Though treatments are available for Mesothelioma patients, but curing the disease is nearly impossible.
Mesothelioma Cancer mainly affects the tissue around the lung and chest area and doctors divide the cancer based on that fact. In this post, you will find a detailed guide about the symptoms, causes, and risk factors of the disease.
Symptoms of Mesothelioma Cancer
There are different type of Mesothelioma and the symptoms differ based on that. There are two main types of cancer that patients suffer from and here are the symptoms for each of one them.
Pleural Mesothelioma: Affects the Lungs
- Coughing with pain
- Weight Loss
- Shortness of breath
- Pain under the rib cage
- Lumps under the chest skin
Peritoneal Mesothelioma: Affects the Abdomen
- Weight Loss
- Abdominal Swelling
- Pain the Abdomen
- Tissue lumps in the Abdominal area
These are the two main types of Mesothelioma cancer. Other that that, there are a few other types also and the symptoms for them are unclear because they are very rare.
Risk Factors of Mesothelioma Cancer
The main cause for this cancer is Asbestos exposure and it is the biggest risk factor. When it is broken up, it creates dust which settles in the lungs or stomach upon inhalation making it very dangerous. It generally takes 40 to 60 years for the cancer to develop after one has been exposed to Asbestos. Here are some other factors that can increase the risk of developing Mesothelioma cancer.
- Exposure to Asbestos: This is the primary risk factor and it is found in fire resistant materials and insulants. If you are directly exposed to the substance, the risk of developing the cancer is greatly increased.
- Smoking: Smoking is not actually a risk factor but you should quit if there are signs of Mesothelioma cancer. It also increases the risk of lung cancer in general which is also deadly.
- Fibers: Some other fibers such as Erionite are also believed to be responsible for Mesothelioma. It is found in Cappadocia, Turkey and is thought to be the main reason behind the large numbers of cases there.
- Age: It is also noted that the risk of contracting this type of cancer increases with age. It takes at least 20 years after asbestos exposure that the cancer actually develops.
As you can see, Mesothelioma cancer is a very aggressive type of cancer. Also, the cure is nearly impossible. So, you should go see a doctor as soon as you see symptoms. And most importantly, you should protect yourself from asbestos exposure as it is the main cause of this cancer.